Guide Dogs (formerly Blind Children UK)
Address: Guide Dogs (formerly Blind Children UK), Hillfields, Reading Road, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 3YG
Brief description of what services your organisation offers
Guide Dogs supports families with a range of services including; habilitation work, mobility training, practical support, large print books and family activities.
Where the service is provided - please state if City wide or locality based
What the organisation provides - types of interventions and support
- Family Support - Our Family Support team gives the families of children with visual impairment emotional and practical support, advice and information. We also advise and work with other professionals and organisations
- Movement Matters - Our Movement Matters service provides training to help blind children and young people get around safely and independently. Movement Matters also teaches important life skills such as handling money and preparing food.
- Education Support - We offer expert, independent advice to help make sure blind children are supported at school, and that they attend the nursery, school or college that’s right for them.
- Access Technologies - Our Access Technology team gives advice on choosing the most appropriate technology and sensory equipment to help children with a vision impairment study and play. We also offer a grants programme that allows families to apply for recommended items they otherwise wouldn’t be able to access.
- Large print books - Blind Children UK’s CustomEyes service produces large print books for children with vision impairment. These are tailor-made for each child or young person, but we only charge the recommended retail price.
- Other services - As Blind Children UK is part of the Guide Dogs Family, we can also offer guide dogs for young people.
Families can self-refer. They will then receive a general information visit to determine what services will be suitable for them.
Quality standards and expected outcomes for children and young people and their families accessing your service
There is a recognised quality standard for the provision of services to visually impaired children. The full quality standards are available at www.mise.org.uk, or a summary is available at, www.blindchildrenuk.org/summaryofthehabiliationqualitystandards.pdf
Guide Dogs and Blind Children UK
Tel: 0118 983 5555
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel: 0118 983 5555 Email: email@example.com